Watch Cressida Cowell read chapters 9 and 10 of 'How to Train Your Dragon.'
There are also pictures of the book for you to use to follow the text during the video.
Try the fluency strategies and answer the comprehension questions about the text.
1. Time yourself reading a page of the book. How long did it take you to read?
2. How many words can you read in 60 seconds?
1. How did Old Wrinkly react to the boys catching fish with their dragons? (Ch.9)
2. What does the word 'spectacular' on p.117 mean?
3. Which words and phrases tell us that Hiccup is really fed up at the end of the chapter? (Ch.10)
Read the instructions WAGOLL below for how to train your dragon. Identify any words that
you are unsure about. Can you find these words in a dictionary or online dictionary to work out their meaning?
This week you are going to draft your own instructions for how to train a dragon.
The Talk for Writing actions that you learnt last week for the example should help you. Read through the example again to remind yourself about what needs to be included when writing instructions.
Use the slide below to help you to structure your instructions and remember your success criteria.
Here are your spellings for this week. The rule is the 'tion' suffix. Words that end in the
'shun' sound are spelt with 'tion' at the end. Can you play the dice game below to practise the spellings?