Objective: The school promotes a culture and love for reading to all pupils to raise outcomes in reading especially for those pupils at the higher standard and in receipt of pupil premium so that reading outcomes at the end of KS 2 are in line with national.
In order to work towards this objective we intend to:
- Teach all children , including children with special eduactional needs and/or disabilities to read through the wider curriculum, thus giving them a wider breadth of knowledge and understanding of both context and text type with a particular focus on fluency, vocabulary and comprehension.
- Use “Reading Rockets” as an incentive for reading for pleasure.
- Celebrate high-profile reading events such as World Book Day and the school Book Fair.
- Read with our classes daily to promote a love of reading across school (D.E.A.R) with the introduction of paired class reading once a week. Utilise support staff to support children with SEND during these sessions.
- Provide a library which is a tranquil, enriching and inviting space for children to read along with opportunities for small groups with a particular focus on pupils at the higher standard and those in receipt of pupil premium.
- Give reading a higher profile around school through the use of trips and visitors. This may be signing children up at the local library or having authors, publishers and illustrators coming in to visit.
- Use Story Sacks to engage children with special eduactional needs and/or disabilities.
- Offer reading based lunchtime clubs to allnchildren.
Our wonderful new library!
As part of this objective, we have recognised the need for an enriching and inviting space for our children to enjoy books. With the help of our wonderful parents, we raised enough money to create this wonderful library..